October 5, 1928
Shortly after the building's opening in September, the hotel's first day of occupancy was October 5, 1928. Parents and alumni filled the 3rd floor in preparation for the next day's football game.
1928 - 1948
Throughout its first twenty years of business, the Memorial Union housed various staff members. Those who worked in the building were on call 24-hours a day.
1936 - 1951
For roughly 15 years, the Memorial Union provided housing for students when the Department of Residence exceeded capacity.
In 1936, the 3rd Floor housed 2-4 women per room. This space was expanded when the 4th and 5th Floors (and elevator!) were finished in 1937.
During World War II, the MU housed some Army and Navy officers and enlisted personnel. 100 Curtiss-Wright Cadets also lived in the building throughout their training.
1950 - Present
Since the early 1950's, the Memorial Union's guestrooms have been primarily used for their intended purpose. The MU has seen many guests, including Eleanor Roosevelt, Martin Luther King Jr., and Carl Sandburg.